To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: world class forward design
From: "Hubert Nowotny" <HUBERTN@ctr.co.at>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 09:52:42 +0100

Friends,

The question is always "forward of what?". Quality is defined in
relation to a criterion; telling "thing a is good" without giving a
criterion (sometimes it stays unmentioned, these are the items which
tend to be misunderstood in the following discussions) means
practically nothing.

The Leica systems are useful - and excellent - vor various purposes.
If the goal is the fastest and most reliable autofocus in town,
then go and grab a Canon ... But if you're looking for optimal image
quality (more or less regardless of photographer's comfort, pardon
me) then start looking at Leica, you'll be happy.

I personnally am happy to owe some real old-fashioned lenses for my R
bodies (they were made from real glass at these days, not from plastic,
and they had much more metal parts than simply three wires of copper)
which don't even supply the comfort of automatic aperture as they had
been made with another camera system in mind (Alpa, Rollei asf.), so
I have to use them stopped down - BUT they deliver optimum image
quality and therefore I have learned to handle them. Photographers
twenty years ago managed to do the same job, btw.

So, it's always the question what you want to achieve - and please
don't compare apples with oranges, or Canon AF with Leica M6 ...

The same thought can be applied to the discussion about commemorative
and other extra models, which are issued relatively often e.g. for
Leica M. The M6J is a technical extra, a great and really useful
piece of mechanics - not to be missed just for any commemorative M6
with special engraving on top. (And, btw, whenever there are people
who _buy_ cameras because there are engravings on the top - why care
about them? Let them buy, they insure the further existence of Leica
GmbH, a company, which builds useful cameras and lenses too.)

(adding my 2 cents to the ongoing discussion ...)

Greetings to all of you
and have a fine day

Hubert
* Von/From: HUBERT NOWOTNY, CTR Hatzenberger & Nowotny OEG
* A-1040 Wien/Vienna, Kettenbrueckengasse 16 (Austria, Europe ...)
* Tel ++43-1- 586 20 22 - 0, Fax ++43-1- 586 20 22 - 24
* hubertn@ctr.co.at, http://www.ctr.co.at/ctr/