To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica's USA price list
From: jbuf@ix.netcom.com (John Irvin Buford)
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 21:50:53 -0700

You wrote:

>This misses my point.  I was replying to someone who used the M6-J's
>scarceness to prove that Leicas were in high demand.  Substitute "M6"
for "M6-J" and the point is still the same--the fact that Leica "can't
make M6s fast enough to meet the demand" does not prove that their
sales are sufficient to support the upgrading and technical innovation
Leica needs to take up--let alone make any money.

My point was that Leica is not interested in becoming another me too
camera company.  Instead of not being able to make M6's fast enough to
fill the demand, IMHO they are not interested in being able to
rubberstamp punch out M6's.  A good friend of mine who is a Leica user,
wrote to Leica and suggested that they introduce an M7 with aperture
priority.  They responded that there market research shows that, that
is not what there customers want, I guess when they did the research
you weren't contacted;)  As I stated before, Leica makes cameras much
more so as a labor of love, than as one of profit.  (Much the same as
BMW making motorcycles.)  If my premise is true then you can not apply
BIG BUSINESS logic to Leica's marketing and manufacturing decisions.

    And while there have been many discussions on the quality of
Non-European ( a Politically Correct Phrase:)  made equipment.  I also
own a Mamiya 6 and Some Canon AF stuff. And, I use the AF for all the
advances that it gives me when I need to shoot fast PR,  or other
related stuff (when the highest level of quality is not necessary).  I
have even read someone on the group who said he could not tell the
difference in quality between Leica and images that he produced with
other 35mm cameras.  As I have said many times before, I wish I caould
excited about NIkon or Canon or Minolta stuff, but I can't.  I still
get a thrill from using a Leica.  I own both M and R's.  I try to carry
at least one of them with me everywhere.  In conclusion, if you need
all whiz bang gadgets, and the latest me-too camera satisfies you needs
then enjoy them.  But, I stil revel in being able to excerise complete
control over my photography and will continue to use Leica equipment
for as long as I make photographs.  I personally applaud Leica for not
following that Me-too attitude of the major manufacturers.

Thanks, ( and that's one Leica-phreaks opinion)

John N3BVH