To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Looking for an M-4P and Summicron.
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 23:44:20 -0400

At 08:32 PM 7/16/96 -0400, Charles E. Love, Jr. wrote:

>Claude--The old 35 Summilux (very recently discontinued) was, a friend at
>Leitz tech services told me, by far the poorest of the current M lenses.
>The design is so old, he said, that it was the last of their lenses designed
>without the help of a computer!  Optically, it remained the same from the
>time it was introduced in 1961!  (See Rogliatti for confirmation.)

Well, Leitz designed all Wetzlar-produced lenses from 1949 onwards by
computer, so I seriously suspect your friend hadn't a clue as to what was
going on -- see Rogliatti, as you snippily advise, for confirmation.

Second, instead of passing on some stale hearsay -- have you ever USED one
of these?  They work and, as Roger Hicks smuggly points out, at f/1.4 they
blow the doors of the f/2 Summicron.

In any event, if you like the Summicron, try the FIRST generation lens, the
eight-element jobby.  Quite possibly you'll not be happy with the current
version thereafter.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!