To: <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Subject: Re: Leica-Users List Digest V1 #128
From: "PAUL COLLURA" <pcollura@epix.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 14:44:12 -0400

> ------------------------------
>
> From: "Charles E. Love, Jr." <cel14@cornell.edu>
> Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 09:10:40 -0400 (EDT)
> Subject: Re: Leica's USA price list
>
> I am a long-time Leica user (both M and R), but have been lurking around
> here for only a little while.
> In the spirit of photographers rather than collectors, though, we have
to be
> honest ...total sales are still a drop in the bucket compared to
top-line Canon and Nikon.   I am pleased that Leica is at last offering a
fuller pro-oriented line in the R-series, but it has taken a long time to
get there, mostly because of very limited resources.

> AND--despite some others' comments--it does matter that the reflexes are
way
> behind the times-
> The fact that something or other is hard to get for a while doesn't
prove
> that sales are great--it only reflects a ratio between supply and
demand.
> How many M6 J's were made?
>
> I think we all love Leicas because of the wonderful quality feel of the
> product--using Leicas is a special experience.  I, at least, am rooting
for
> them to survive and prosper.  I just hope that they--and we--can get a
> little beyond the Leica Legend and look at the realities.
> Charles E. Love, Jr.

Well said Charles.  I too am a M and R system user but I must confess to a
bit of collecting.  As others have said, Leica is to be condemned for the
unabashed proliferation of self-proclaimed collectible cameras.  It has
become the Franklin Mint of the camera world instead of a world-class
forward design manufacturer.  I do believe that earlier M cameras and
lenses  were built with more inherent quality  and luxury of finish.
Perhaps too were the SLR series of which I have only a few examples
predating The current equipment.  My R7 is terribly marred from normal
handling.  The finish does not hold up to normal use although I admit to
being less genteel with this piece than with my M6s .  True collectibles
are those that are made so well that they become classics in design,
quality or both.

Paul T. Collura
pcollura@epix.net