To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us, leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica's USA price list
From: "Roger L. Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 06:02:43 -0700 (MST)

>Roger,
>
>I think you are being unfair to Leica. Remember how long it took them to
>unload the R4, or the R3? Years and years after they were discontinued,
>there were still new models laying around. I suspect they learned their
>lesson there, and are being realistic. They can't make $100 per camera, like
>maybe Pentax or Ricoh or Nikon and Canon might. They have to make lots
>more per camera. But they also can't hold onto inventory that long.

I personally haven't been hurt by Leica's "selling off" of old inventory,
Eric, since I'm a newbie at owning Leica. So, *I'm* not being unfair to
Leica, merely stating oft heard complaints from other owners of the R line.
Between the discount I bought my new R7 for and the $500 rebate, I got in at
a price point that equaled todays $1995 deal. Since I'm happy with the
camera, I'll probably buy another body at $1600 to $1700 when they're
offered. After that, I, too, will be in the group that gripes about R's not
holding value like the M's. As long as perceived value is there in the areas
that I consider important, i.e.fit, finish, and the knowledge that each
focal length lens is likely to be as good or better than any competitor's
offering, I'll continue to buy and use Leica. Since I don't shoot fast
moving action, I do not have the need for the complexity of the EOS 1n kit
that I sold.

>Then again, now that they've gone public, and have a lot of money to do
>research with, maybe prices will come down?
>
>Nah...
>Eric Welch

Don't think it has actually happened, yet. Last I heard, the IPO was
scheduled in late Fall, 1996. Hell, I'm such a Leicaphile that, in spite of
my feelings about IPO's for the average bloke, I'll probably buy a little,
when offered, just to participate in Leica's future success or failure.

Cheers and beers!
     --
     Roger Beamon,  Naturalist & Photographer
                               Docent:  Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum