To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us, leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica's USA price list
From: "Roger L. Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 1996 18:27:25 -0700 (MST)

>Maybe Leica USA is starting to bring some of their prices down to a more
>reasonable level.  Did anyone read Roy Moss's Editorial in the LHSA Quarterly
>journal _The Viewfinder_?   In this editorial "Leica Pricing Needs Review",
> Moss makes some excellent points, essentially saying that Leica is pricing
>themselves out of existence.  New USA warranteed products are out of the
>reach of all but the most well heeled of the well heeled.   I commend this
>editorial to everyone's attention.  I agree with his conclusions....for
>example, the new 70-200 APO Zoom:  I'm sure it is a great lens, but is it  6
>and a half times better than, say, the 80-200  ED-AF Nikkor?  Not likely.
>
>Maybe someone at Leica USA and Leica GMBH is listening.  Or maybe they are
>staring to unload stocks to make way for the R 7.2......or the R8?!
>
>JayPax@aol.com

Hi Jay. Yes, I read Roy Moss's editorial and though I tend to agree that
Leica is going up disproportionately, it seems to have been the case for the
45+ years that I have been ogling Leica gear. I really can't afford it now
any more than I could 45 years ago, it's merely that at age 60+ I'm re
prioritizing my life. You know, the old do it before you can't syndrome.
Amazing what recognition of one's mortality can do for one's ability to
rationalize.

The R8 is definitely on the last lap toward introduction. It's not a
question of "if", only a question of "when"! My local, newly appointed
dealer in Tucson was told exactly that when he attended a new dealer seminar
for 3 days in Solms recently.

They seem to have decided to phase out the R7 gradually, beginning with the
recently concluded $500.00 rebate in the U.S. followed by the current flat
$1995.00 price for a new one. Next step would appear to be a further cut to
the just discussed $1600.00 to $1700.00 level. This is what frosts many
about the R series. Leica will do whatever they must to get rid of them,
whereas, the M's, being rather unique, can and do hold their value.
     --
     Roger Beamon,  Naturalist & Photographer
                               Docent:  Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum