To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica's USA price list
From: JayPax@aol.com
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 1996 20:52:54 -0400

<< 	For example, starting in a month or two, there are going to be some
serious
 >sales on NEW R-7 cameras...about $1500 for a NEW body. The Germans are
 apparently trying to get rid of some inventory.
 >Cordially,
 >Jack Hamilton
 >Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

 Interesting, Jack, because I heard over a month ago from a Shutterbug
 advertiser, that there would be $1600 NEW R7's. Close enough to your news
 that it bumps it up a bit on the credibility list.
      --
      Roger Beamon,  Naturalist & Photographer >>

Jack and Roger:

Maybe Leica USA is starting to bring some of their prices down to a more
reasonable level.  Did anyone read Roy Moss's Editorial in the LHSA Quarterly
journal _The Viewfinder_?   In this editorial "Leica Pricing Needs Review",
 Moss makes some excellent points, essentially saying that Leica is pricing
themselves out of existence.  New USA warranteed products are out of the
reach of all but the most well heeled of the well heeled.   I commend this
editorial to everyone's attention.  I agree with his conclusions....for
example, the new 70-200 APO Zoom:  I'm sure it is a great lens, but is it  6
and a half times better than, say, the 80-200  ED-AF Nikkor?  Not likely.

Maybe someone at Leica USA and Leica GMBH is listening.  Or maybe they are
staring to unload stocks to make way for the R 7.2......or the R8?!

JayPax@aol.com