To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Kyocera & Leica
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 16:31:48 -0700

At 02:55 PM 7/10/96 -0400, you wrote:

>Rowell and his friends are what I consider cataloguers. They take risks by
>swinging from ropes. AF/AE cameras and "dramatic" chromes are just what they
>need. Plastic cameras, plastic minds, plastic pictures....

I disagree. Have you read Rowell's articles on color theory in Outdoor
photographer. Takes a lot of brains to come to grips with concepts like how
the brain interprets color, and translate that for a photographic audience.
And I like many of his pictures. But he is a master marketer. And that takes
some "plastic" skills. <G>

>Many people disparage the likes of Ansel Adams. However, he knew how to take
>interesting pictures with any camera and use film shortcomings to advantage.
>Incidentally, did he ever use a Leica?

Leica R cameras were his last camera of choice. His philosophy was alwyas
use the biggest camera you can carry for the job. And in his latter days,
the Lecia R4 was his choice.

Eric Welch
Grants Pass (OR) Daily Courier
NPPA Region 11 JIB chair