To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: leica and APS
From: Michael Reichmann <michaelr@interlog.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 20:36:24 -0400

At 03:16 PM 08/07/96 +0100, you wrote:
>I know I risk being drummed out of LUG but here goes...
>
>IMHO this APS format is not at all bad......
>
>Just last week I took the plunge and bought a Canon IXUS......

Like Mark, last week I also bought an Canon ELPH (IXUS).  My M Leica, Nikon
F4 and Mamiya 645 Pro each have their place, but the ELPH fits a niche and I
find it an excellent little camera.

There are times, such as a visit by Grandma, a company event, a graduation
ceremony etc, where even an M Leica can be too intrusive and inappropriate.
A pocketable point and shoot is the order of the day and this little gem
fits that description to a tee.

Some may jump in and say, yes, but what about a Leica Mini or a Contax T2?
To them, my response is, have a look at the ELPH and the convenience of APS
for snapshots.

I haven't done it yet, but I'm looking forward to opening up an APS cassette
and printing some 8X10's to see what the quality is like on larger prints.
Not that this is what I'll usually do with it, but it should be fun.

I for one do not see APS as any threat to serious 35mm cameras, but I think
that it's going to definately impact on the 35mm P&S market.

Michael