To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: leica and APS
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 1996 16:01:04 -0700

At 03:19 PM 7/8/96 -0500, you wrote:

>they must play "catch-up" in 35mm. Right now, they would seem to be having
difficulty
>going from the 1960's into the 1970's. Their point-and-shoots are a little
more
>progressive...they are in the 1980's!

Jack,

Some hyperbole, no? What cameras had fill flash TTL before the mid 80s. So
they're only a decade behind, and now with the F5 out, three generations
behind in TTL flash. And I'm talking significant upgrades. Nikon's fill
flash is no doubt the best. The first thing they had better than the R7 is
the 8008, or whatever it was. Then the 90s (D series lenses), now the F5. I
can't think of anyone who had set the trend better. And AF may make them a
bit more behind, but until the F4, or EOS1 came out mid-80s, I would argue
autofocus was a toy, nothing serious, though Minolta's second generation was
pretty good.

You're right about Panasonic. Are they making the lenses for Sigma to sell
to Leica? <G>
Eric Welch
Grants Pass Daily Courier
NPPA Job Information Bank Chair