To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: leica and APS
From: Jack Hamilton <jackham@execpc.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 1996 15:19:57 -0500

Eric Welch wrote:

> At 03:16 PM 7/8/96 +0100, you wrote:
> >I know I risk being drummed out of LUG but here goes...
> >
> >IMHO this APS format is not at all bad. Why? Because it identifies a
> >quantifiable need and serves it well at a decent return to the manufacturers.
>
> Where do you get it processed? Has the local 1 hour photo jumped on board?
> If that's the case, maybe I'm being too pessimistic. I think Leica could use
> it if it's successful, for their point and shoots. Size has always been an
> issue with Leica, them being on the side of proving small is not bad. Who knows?
>
> ==========================
> Eric Welch
> Grants Pass Daily Courier
> NPPA Job Information Bank Chair
> Region 11
>
> Immature poets borrow, mature poets steal"
>
> T. S. Eliot

Eric and other LUG'ers:

	I think that it will be a while before Leica gets into the APS formats. First,
they must play "catch-up" in 35mm. Right now, they would seem to be having difficulty
going from the 1960's into the 1970's. Their point-and-shoots are a little more
progressive...they are in the 1980's!

	I believe the CEO of Leica NY, said that he figured that when Leica brought out
the mini-lux, they were only five-years behind...

	At any rate, that's where the Leica emphasis is going to be...I predict. Maybe
you will see a Leica CL2, which will be an advanced Mini-Lux with interchangeable
lenses, to compete with the Contax. It will probably be German designed...and Japanese
built...also. Panasonic, for the past several years, seems to have been doing a good
job for Leica. And after reading some of the posts on this exchange, it has occurred to
me, THAT A GREAT MANY DO NOT REALIZE THAT THE LEICA/MINOLTA ASSOCIATION ENDED SEVERAL
YEARS AGO!

	And that currently, Panasonic has been making many of the Japanese
components for Leica...!!!

	At any rate, like anything else, the market alone will decide whether or not
Leica will go into the APS picture. Actually, I'd be more curious to hear if Ilford were
going to follow suit with APS!!!

	Cordially,
	(and pulling back from his crystal
	ball...I think that I will put it
	next to/ or inside Eric's "soapbox")

	Jack Hamilton, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA