To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Film choice: Durability... -Reply
From: Jack Hamilton <jackham@execpc.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 1996 01:29:37 -0500

Eric Welch wrote:

> At 12:24 AM 7/6/96 -0500, you wrote:
>

> That is truly the best advice. Learn to expose properly, and then you don't
> have to waste film bracketing and you can dupe pictures instead. Though the
> misses the longevity problem. Though I dare to say that it's something we
> don't need to worry about for much longer. There will be digital storage
> mediums where we won't have to worry about lost quality. Scanners have to be
> more affordable, and work better to make us Leica users happy, but the time
> is coming.
>
> What with RAM down to about $8 a meg, I can't imagine that storage isn't
> going to become significantly cheaper too.
>
> ==========================
> Eric Welch
> Grants Pass Daily Courier

Eric, and other Leica-users...

Again, for the type of "stock" photos that I shoot (for those of you that do not know
me, I make my living shooting teen-agers, in documentary settings, for the educational
text market) a transparency life of ten-or-so-years is plenty.  Crumb, with my subjects,
fads come and go...and most of my slides have outlived their usefullness is five years.
Hey, hair gets long, hair gets short. Bell bottoms are in, bell bottoms are out...

Nonetheless, as long as Great Yellow Father makes it and processes it...I'll continue my
love affair with Mistress Kodachrome. She's still a wonderful lady, who ages very, very
well.

And, I still GET A BIG THRILL seeing those 35mm Leica-produced visual jewels on the
light table...seemingly popping out of their 35mm mounts with breath-taking
brilliance...a testimony to Solm and Toronto lenses.

Maybe I'm getting old, but I just can't find the same romance in looking at a
pixel-image on a CRT...

Cordially,
Jack Hamilton
Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA