To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: film choice: durability
From: Jack Hamilton <jackham@execpc.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 1996 15:21:16 -0500

Arthur Wouk wrote:

> i wish to warn all of those cheering various forms of the E-6 color
> process, that the transparencies do not last. thirty years is about
> it.
>
> my agfachromes from the late 40s and early 50s are gone. mt
> ektachromes from the late 50s through about '65 are clearly
> fading.
>
> if you want archival results, and you must use an ektachrome, etc.,
> then preserve your really valuable transparencies via the three color
> separation process (this IS archival.) for anything else, either store
> them in the deep freeze or prepare to lose your precious scenes in
> about 30 years.
>
> this is not true of clasic kodachrome, and thought not to be true of
> the faster newer kodachromes. i have a 1945 kodachrome which, for all
> its 'false' color, is exactly what it was  when first processed in
> 1945.
>
> i was lead astray by my search for truer, more neutral media, in a
> revulsion against kodachrome!

Arthur, and all the other Leica-users.
	For the most part, I'm still a Kodachrome user...and since Kodak TOOK BACK
CONTROL of Kodalux processing some months back, I can't even complain about the
processing. For those of us that live in Milwaukee, Wisconsin...it's out one day...and
back the next...even though the current Kodalux lab that handles it is in Dallas, TX.

Personally, I wouldn't care if it took a day or two more. I shoot for the "stock photo"
market...and have for 30 + years. I'm more interested in sharpness, color
saturation...AND LONGEVITY OF IMAGES. And I haven't really found a good reason to
switch from Kodachrome.

By my way of thinking...I would still rather use the film that all others are still
compared to...

And TO those of you that disagree with me, particularly my "competitors," KEEP ON DOING
WHAT YOU ARE DOING...AND BE CRITICAL OF ME...if you are using e-6, and I'm using
Kodachrome...I will DEFINITELY HAVE THE 'EDGE.' And the "proof" is in my bank
statements...

THE DEFENSE RESTS,
Jack Hamilton
Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA