To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: 50mm Summicron
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 23:53:24 -0700

At 08:56 AM 6/20/96 EDT, you wrote:

>        To my knowledge, there is one thing and one thing only that is
>responsible for shadow detail and that is exposure. In no way does a lens'
>inherent contrast "increase shadow detail".
>        I know we often think of Leica glass in terms as nothing short of
>"magic" but let's be careful here.

Actually, lens performance can indeed give a negative better shadow detail.
And for many reasons. One would be flare, which increases the the base
exposure and means the threshold for minimum exposure (Zone III) is met and
it takes less exposure from imaging light to give adequate image detail.
Not something to crow about in a lens.

The other thing is the lens has more contrast, and thus the local contrast
in the shadows looks better, thus the appearance of better detail. And this
is the case in some Leica lenses.

Eric Welch
Grants Pass Daily Courier