To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: 50mm Summicron
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 23:53:22 -0700

At 09:25 AM 6/19/96 -0400, you wrote:

>The Japanese tests come from a publication entitled CAMERA REVIEW:  ALL
>ABOUT HISTORICAL CAMERAS, issue 24.  Most of this is in Japanese -- which I
>do not speak! -- but I have a brief precis in English with a few of the
>charts deciphered.  Simply put, the results showed:
>
>First rigid design (1959)                       280 center resolution
>181 surface resolution
>second (1978)                                         180
>98
>current (1981)                                          180
>116
>
>There are a slew more charts but the translation of them is a task!
>
>Further information can be had from my source, Mr Joel Tlumak, publisher of
>RFinder Magazine, at jt@jmbm.com -- I just suggested to Joel that he should
>subscribe to LUG.

Marc,

I have a Japanese friend in Tacoma who could do the translation for you.

But my question is, who give a rip what resolution numbers are? That number
hasn't been useful in judging lens performance since the 50s. The MTF and
OTF (by Leica) are much more useful and gives a better description of lens
performance.

And I would trust the BAS tests. You can get a copy from Leica. (BAS is not
related to Leica).

Eric Welch
Grants Pass Daily Courier