To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: 50mm Summicron old & new
From: George Moore <gmoore@magna.com.au>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 07:43:28 +1000

Iv'e been following all the talk about the 50's with much interest, as I'm
thinking of buying a rigid 50 summicron (1960 model)

Yesterday I took about a dozen comparison shots .... the Rigid against the
latest 50 summicrom (1995 with extendable hood)

I know it's not scientific .... etc .. BUT on my slides(Velvia) I can quiet
clearly see on several shots (at f5.6 & f11) the new lens seems soft at the
very edge of the frame, while the older lens is noticeably sharper in that area

BTW it's the first time I've used a lens that's "almost" as old as me ...
I'm very impressed ... also impressed with it's lack of flare with the sun
in the picture,particularly as it didn't have a hood

Would anybody care to comment

Regards,

George Moore, Sydney Australia

gmoore@magna.com.au