To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Late numbers?
From: "Kamal M. Malek" <kmmalek@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 96 13:49:23 EDT

At 08:37 AM 6/5/96 -0700, you wrote:
>The published numbers appear to have stopped with 1,932,000, Hans, which was
>a 1992 body. Others here have said that Leica GMBH decided, then, to no
>longer make the serial numbers, with their year of manufacture, available to
>the public, and that apparently includes authors.
>
>I would like to hear their rationale for the decision. What is the perceived
>problem with that information in the hands of users and collectors?
>       --
>       Roger Beamon,   Natural History Interpreter & Photographer
>                                  Docent: Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum
>                                  INTERNET: beamon@primenet.com

It seems obvious: If I were buying a new M6 and found out that the one I'm
about to get had been at the dealer for the last four years, I might request
a different, more recent one. I know there is no "Best if used before" date
on leicas, but still . . . If you have the choice between the two, which one
would you pick?

Kamal Malek