To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Sale at K&S
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 1996 22:30:33 -0700

At 12:51 PM 6/2/96 -0400, you wrote:

>I also found out that there is a 24mm lens coming out soon for the M cameras.
>Could not find out any details, including price.

Yes, that has been coming for several years. The new rumor is a 21 Elmarit
with an aspherical element.

Arthur Kramer has been talking about aspherical elements on Compuserve, and
from what he's saying, there are a whole new generation of lenses coming
from many manufacturers in the next 10 years that are going to be so good we
can only dream about them at this point. The reason they are going to be so
good is that manufacturing aspherical elments is getting easier (Canon has
three different manufacturing processes for apsherics) including the 35
Summilux ASPH being the first by Leica that uses a press technique that
doesn't require grinding afterwards. The ashperical elements will allow for
correction of abberations that spherical elements just can't handle. So
we're just seeing the tip of the iceberg.

Eric Welch
Grants Pass Daily Courier