To: fward@erols.com (fredn.ward)
Subject: Lightmeter Accuracy (M5 vs 6)
From: FortunkoC@aol.com
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 1996 12:20:27 -0400
Cc: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (leica-users-group)

Friends,

I just came back from the Land of Silicon. Keeble and Shuchat had a big
(31'st Anniversary Sale) and Ernst Hartmann of Leica, N.J. was there.

Ernst kindly looked at my beat-up, but deadly reliable and accurate, M5 and
offered to test it using an electronic gadget. My speeds were right on,
except the slow ones, which I do not use at all. However, Ernst declared that
my lightmeter was one stop off. This came as a surprise, because I thought it
was right on, based on comparison with several other meters, including the
one on the M6 and various Gossens and Pentax spot meter. Anyway, Ernst kindly
adjusted it to the specification.

Upon returning, I checked my M5 meter against the other meters, the M6 and
the SL2. I  found that the M5 meter is now one stop off, but it reads the
same as that on the SL2.

One stop is a lot. I believe that the difference is due to a different
spectral response of the SL2 and M5, which use CdS technology. The electronic
gadged used by Ernst may be too perfect and not take into account the
spectral response differences between the Silicon Blue cells.

I will call Ernst back with my findings as soon as he is back from vacation.
Incidentally, he is a hell of a nice and competent fellow.

Any opinions on this?

Pax et Lux,

Chris Fortunko