To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Fred has a valid point of view.
From: "Jason M. Tetzloff" <leica1@scooter.cc.wwu.edu>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 00:57:52 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

I have been monitoring this group no for about six months, and while I
have been a silent member, I feel that I have to respond.  After reading
post after post of Leica minutia, I too am a little fed up, as I am sure
Fred was.  Sure, I find it interesting that there is a tiny difference
between lenses, but by my count in the last 2 months there have been
over 60 postings on 35mm lenses alone!

What Fred and others have said is true.  Most people, including most
Leica users could not tell the difference between the 35 mm lenses.
Certainly you can't with a 4X6 print.  What is so offensive about this
comment?  Few could really refute its truth.

Some need the special qualities of a particular lens or camera.  Others
buy these same lenses simply because they are some of the best lenses
ever made, but NEVER even come close to using their full potential.
Hurray for both types.  We should keep this in perspective--it does seem
to me that many of the group are far more concerned with the equipment
than with using the equipment.  The joy of using Leicas is that you can
be a collector AND a photographer, but as someone who has bought, traded,
used, and sold several Leica M, R, SM systems, I think that the key is
that the two should be balanced.  Certainly more balanced than this group
has been lately

Jason Tetzloff
Department of History
Western Washington University