To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Tamron Adaptall Lenses
From: "joe b." <joe@azurite.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 00:25:18 +0100

Chuck Warman <cwarman@sol.wf.net> writes
>The thread about Adorama lenses for Leica M cameras has caused a
>back-burner idea fo mine to resurface. I have long been toying with the
>idea of filling in some "gaps" in my R-series lenses with Tamron Adaptalls.
>My part of the country is Leica-challenged, so I don't know anyone who has
>done this - or even uses Tamron lenses on any camera.
>I am particularly considering the 90/2.5 Macro and the 28-70/3.5 Zoom.
> Does anyone have experience with Tamron lenses? I don't expect Leica
>quality, obviously, but are they pretty good?  decent?  junk?   Any help
>will be greatly appreciated.

I have done this, with a 17mm and a 70-150/2.8sf zoom, but soon felt
that it was a waste of time to use Leica bodies in this way when I could
be using the same film in the same bodies with Leica lenses. In general
if I had gaps in my Leica R system, I'd leave them as gaps! The problem
with many Tamrons I've used over the years is they need to be stopped
down for decent quality, and that grates a bit once you're used to Leica
lenses, and the colour isn't the same at all. I wouldn't let not being
in Leica country be a problem, I'd find a reliable dealer somewhere else
(this group is known to make recommendations for dealers) and deal with
him long-distance. It's what I do here in the UK; all my Leica gear was
ordered sight unseen, most of it from Ffordes in Southend (where I've
never been!) some way away from me. Bear in mind, the older 28mm and
135mm R lenses can be quite cheap (as little as UKP 300.00 here if you
look around), and some 35s and 50s also, maybe for even less. Given a
Leica 28 or 35 and a 50 I can't see any reason for using a Tamron 28-70
zoom. Plug your worst gap with a real Leica lens! You could get one for
the price of a couple of Tamrons (almost) if you didn't mind a scruffy
one.
--
joe b.