To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Per Volledal and Adorama lenses
From: Fred Ward <fward@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 27 May 1996 10:11:50 -0500

There will likely to be a number of responses to this one. The original
request was opinions on whether or not buying a lens of unknown origin
from Adorama and use it on a Leica was a good idea.

My feeling here is, as almost always, you get what you pay for. I buy
film and tapes from Adorama and have found them to be satisfactory for
that purpose. I would NEVER buy a lens without knowing what it was. And
there is only one reason for not saying what it is.

If you cannot or do not want to shop around for a used Leica lens or at
least something of known and respected origin, then at a mimimum ask
Adorama to give you full particulars on the lenses you want. Insist on
full disclosure.... name, country of origin, age, finish, number of
elements, who precisely made it, who made the adapter, etc.

A 21mm lens is very difficult to make for a 35mm camera. In comparison,
a telephoto is very easy to make. You are only using a very small piece
of the image produced by such a lens. But with a super wide angle, to
get the edges even close to sharp is a major lens design achievement
that must be matched by superb craftmanship in manufacturing.

Your request is a case where I would say, Beware.

Fred Ward

***  Visit my Gem Book Publishers site
***  http://www.erols.com/fward/
***