To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica-Users List Digest V1 #74
From: "Paul T.Collura" <pcollura@epix.net>
Date: Sun, 26 May 1996 16:48:48 -0400

> From: David Young <youngs@IslandNet.com>
> Date: Sat, 25 May 96 09:44 PDT
> Subject: R Series Question
>
> I have an R5 w/90mm f2 & 180mm f4 lenses.  I travel a lot, and have
> considered replacing the 180 with a Leica 2x converter, simply for the
> weight saved. The 90 + converter would effectively be the same as the 180.
> But converters always lower resolution/contrast, though I have hopes the
> Leica one will do better.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with the Leica 2x, and if so, how close will
> it come to the sharpness/contrast/etc. of the plain 180?
>
> All comments appreciated.  Many thanks.
> David Young: youngs@IslandNet.com

According to Eric at Tamarkin and Co. the APO 2X tele-extender is the
best ever made. I bought one recently but have limited use with it which
so far has been confined to the 180mm APO-Telyt-R f3.4.  I notice no
degradation in image or contrast resolution.  It's the one to get.

Paul T. Collura
pcollura@epix.net