To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Salgado
From: Edi Weitz <weitz@math.uni-hannover.de>
Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 10:27:36 +0200

>The mention of cameras and film was a very small portion of the
>interview. The rest was interesting. The questions were reasonable; I
>don't know what sort of standard you're holding it up to, but the
>interview was substantial, insightful, and well edited.

That's my opinion too. Compare this with one of the usual Henri
Cartier-Bresson interviews: Actually, he uses to talk about Zen buddhism,
philosophy, whatever and he has some very interesting points to make. But,
he almost completely refused to talk about his photography in the last
twenty or so years.

So, with that in mind, Salgado interviews usually are very interesting to
me. As with the fine arts or with music you always have two kinds of people:
Some don't want to talk about what they are doing and why (or sometimes they
can't) and some are very kind and gentle and are trying to explain their
approach to you in case you're interested. Salgado seems to belong to the
second sort and I appreciate this.

And why complain about him mentioning cameras and films? This is what we're
doing all the time on this list! I _do_ like to know the technical things
about how a photographer that I like is working.

Just my two cents, Edi.