To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Salgado
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 19:00:43 -0700

At 05:56 PM 5/23/96 EDT, you wrote:

>I somehow think the photo-ops were better in the lower classes and have
>little to do with sacrifice.

That, AND the fact that he was saving money. Like I said, he had to stretch
$20,000 over two years. That might not sound like a lot, but when you're
flying between continents like we go to the grocery store, it adds up fast.
Read his book "Other Americas."
>I would have been more interested in his views on the current state
>of "photojournalism" (a term that suffers from a serious amount of abusive
>stretching these days) and the distinctions to be drawn between
>photojournalism, press photography, documentary and the encroachment of
>P.R. photography masquerading as information.
> (Not to mention how the heck he manages to pull in financing.  ;->  )

I suspect he would be pretty nice about it. He seems like that kind of guy.
But of course, I agree, I'd love to hear what he has to say about it. The
term photojournalism isn't stretched nearly as much as the credibility of
people who seem to want the term to mean something superhuman, though. (Just
got off a long thread on that subject on the NPPA list.

Eric Welch
Grants Pass Daily Courier