To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Lighter tripods (and very light tripods)
From: Willem-Jan Markerink <w.j.markerink@a1.NL>
Date: Tue, 21 May 1996 12:09:10 +0000
Comments: Authenticated sender is <wjmarkerink@mail.a1.nl>

On 21 May 96 at 4:38, joe b. wrote about "Lighter tripods (and very
light tri":

> Which leads me to my next question. I'm not up to carrying a normally
> heavy tripod around due to current health factors, but I've been aware
> of very much lighter tripods (the kind that serious photographers might
> be tempted to laugh at) made by Vivitar and others and wonder if anyone
> has any thoughts on the use of such with an M6. No mirror shock, and
> obviously depending on no wind!- maybe this is a viable proposition?
> Bear in mind, I can't usually carry the normal heavier "carriable" kind
> anyway, and can't bend to use a very short one either, and so this is a
> serious question. Responses along the lines of "Personally I always
> carry a heavy brass Gitzo Killer-Brute tripod with 5" solid granite ball
> head" will not be considered helpful! Any opinions?

Apart from the already mentioned Gitzo carbon, have you ever looked
at wooden tripods? They are claimed to dampen vibrations better than
metal (and better than similar stiff carbon probably as well), and
somehow I feel there should be a weight advantage also.
Beyond that, I think that a wooden tripod is in the same style class as Leica,
so they will match perfectly!....:-))

Bye,

     _/  _/ illem    _/     _/ an    _/  _/  _/ arkerink
                     _/_/_/

The difference
between men and boys
is the price of their toys