To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: LEDs on R6 mirror box / Salgado
From: Edward Meyers <aghalide@phantom.com>
Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 14:03:53 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

On Mon, 20 May 1996, Bill Christensen wrote:

> Edi Weitz wrote:
> >
> > Hi all!
> >
> > Some weeks ago I saw a TV documentary about the famous Brazilian "Magnum" photographer Sebastiao Salgado. He was shown while shooting for
> his "Workers" project
> >
> > Being merely an M user I have no idea what these LEDs are for but I'd like to know this of course. Even Leica's R6 brochure couldn't help me
> but I'm quite sure
> >  Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Edi.
> > With a push of a button, the R6.2 enables the user to illuminate the
> f-stop ring on the lens via a red light located just beneath the mirror
> box on the front.  This facilitates photography in low light conditions
> and is very helpful.
>
> Bill Christensen

This LED illumination device could be a big help. On the other hand
when you shoot in very low light...you know you'll be using the lens
wide open and you also know that you'll be shooting at a relatively
long shutter speed. I'm satisfied with my R4, without the lights.
Don't LEDs use lots of battery "juice"? I have a camera with LEDs
that light up inside it. But that's another story--about pushing
film speed and reducing contrast. Ed Meyers

Replies: Reply from Bill Christensen <kangwei@interaccess.com> (Re: LEDs on R6 mirror box / Salgado)