To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica enlarging lenses
From: adl@sirius.com
Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 17:41:32 -0800

>Greetings group,
>        a good friend of mine has offered me a Leica enlarging lens at a
>rather attractive price. It is a 90mm F4.5 (I think that's the aperture). I
>have never used any Leica enlarging equipment and until recently was
>unaware that they made any other focal lengths than the 40mm Focatar. I am
>aware of the reputation of the 40mm but I know nothing of the 90mm and I
>lack the right mounting plate to give it a whirl on either my D or E
>omegas.
>Would anyone be able to point me towards an accessible source of info on
>Leica enlarging glass or be able to tell me from experience whether this is
>a worthwhile investment?
>        It is a rather nicely built lens; in typical Leica fashion, it is
>all metal and has nicely defined and wonderfully smooth click stops. I am
>wondering whether it would cover 6X7 and if it could be better than my much
>loved 105mm Rodagon.
>        Leica does not currently list a 90mm enlarging lens so I am also
>wondering what sort of age it could be.
>If anyone on the group could provide any input, it would be most appreciated.
>Thanks,
>Jae

If I remember correctly, the 90mm f4.5 was standard issue on the Leitz
Focomat IIa enlarger and that enlarger went up to 6x9 format.  The 90mm
f4.5 is an older lens design and is probably good for most b/w but not as
good as the more modern lenses (besides being a very slow lens). The lens
was replaced by the 100mm V-Elmar lens, and then the 100mm Focotar. The
lens is more a collector's item being that there were not many of them
made.

I remember reading a test report on enlarging lenses and Camera Darkroom
several years ago, and the modern Leica 50mm Focotar II lens, and the 100mm
Focotar lenses were the only Leica lenses highly rated.  Again, for
critical color work, all the best lenses were in the APO design and cost
wise were more affordable than the Leica lenses.

ADL