To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: 35-70/f3.5 vario-elmar first style
From: "Richard W. Hemingway" <n5xrd@telepath.com>
Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 22:52:19 -0500

At 05:51 PM 5/15/96 -0800, you wrote:

>>Bill:  The play is not between the lens mount and the body, but if you hold
>>the lens in one hand and grab the focuing ring - the whole top of the lens
>>wiggles.  The front element moves a little inrelation to the zoom element in
>>the lens.  Dick
>
>This movement may be due to the fact that this zoom lens is a dual helicoid
>focusing system (seperate focus and zoom) and the movement is an
>exaggeration of both helicoid moving at the same time when you flex the top
>half.  This lens will never be as tight as a single focusing helicoid due
>to its design.
>
>ADL

Thanks for the information..  I have posted a message as to my further
adventures with this lens - it totally locked up!!!  I'm getting another and
will let you know how it is. I should get some chromes back tomorrow from
the lens I am sending back and it should show whether the flexing is a
problem.  It seems to be a sharp lens from looking through the viewfinder -
but can't tell yet.  Dick