To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: HCB
From: Edi Weitz <weitz@math.uni-hannover.de>
Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 11:45:01 +0200

Laurent,

first of all, thank you very much for sharing your knowledge with us!

I didn't find any other place in the Internet yet that collects so many nice and interesting people who have something to say and who really know what they're talking about! Being one of the "lurkers" mainly I can only express my gratitude to the rest of the group for allowing me to listen to you.

>Then, with your hands (and only your
>hands), you must retain and pushed everything that is under or over exopsed.
>But the point is not to be lazy: expose your subject exaxtly as it was, and
>then you have still a lot of work: you can have 10 or 15 things to push
>(candle, sky, faces, hairs, hands...). In one of my printings, he pushed the
>sockets and the hankerchief of a guy on my photo (have you ever seen such a
>white sockets? he told me).

This was the part of your story that amazed me the most. Do you think there's any particular reason for him to insist on using ONLY your hands?

>Koudelka is
>rhe most difficult to please because his negative are very badly exposed.

What about HCB compared to him? Is it true that his negatives are usually exposed very good?

Once again, thanks for your help.

Bye, Edi.