To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: HCB articles
From: Edi Weitz <weitz@math.uni-hannover.de>
Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 11:32:00 +0200

Hi Group!

As I promised last week I will now tell you where you can find the article about HCB that we were talking about:

The article was called "Cartier-Bresson today - three different views", and it consisted of three texts by Bob Schwalberg, David Vestal, and Michael Korda respectively, who discussed different aspects of HCB's working method. It appeared in the May 1967 issue of "Popular Photography". If you're interested in HCB you'll like this one. In my opinion this is one of the best discussions that I've found until now. If you have difficulties getting it in your local library I can xerop-copy it and send it to you.

By the way, another rather nice article about HCB was "Stealing a March on the World" that appeared in two parts in the Oct. 23/30, 1989 issues of the "New Yorker". It was written by Dan Hofstadter and mixes some "historical" facts with stories about more recent encounters of the authors and Cartier-Bresson.

One other thing that I can recommend is the chapter about HCB in "Bystander - A History of Street Photography", a fantastic book that was written by Westerbeck and Meyerowitz some years ago. It should still be available at your local book store and IMHO it's worth its price. Even if you're not a Cartier-Bresson fan you'll probably like this book because "Street Photography" has been almost the same as "Leica photography" between 1930 and, say, 1960... OK, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit, but for me this kind of photography is what (rangefinder) Leicas are made for.

I'm still waiting for my copy of Jean-Pierre Montier's book about HCB ("Art without Art"). Has anybody already seen it in the States? [The original French edition is sold in some book stores in my country. But my French is so bad, I though I should wait for an English edition to arrive.]

Bye, Edi.