To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us, leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: minimum aperture question
From: beamon@primenet.com (Roger L. Beamon)
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 14:47:39 -0700 (MST)

>I share your wish for a smaller minimum aperture. My 35mm 1.4 Summilux-M
>Aspheric has a minimum aperture of f/16 but I sometimes wish for f/22 or
even >f/32 - not just for greater depth of field (though this is true) but
also to give
>a slow shutter-speed option in certain circumstances, without the need for a
>neutral density filter, most of which (in my experience) introduce some colour
>shift, however subtle.
>I asked my Leica dealer why the lens stops down only to f/16 and was told
that a
>smaller aperture might entail an unacceptable drop in quality - possibly some
>vignetting at the corner of the frame, or a drop in contrast.

Good points. If Leica acknowledged those possibilities, but allowed the
smaller apertures to be used at our own risk, I'd be happy. That, though, is
not Leica's way.
       --
       Roger Beamon,  Natural History Interpreter & Photographer
                                 Docent: Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum