To: LEVINE.S@GAIN.MERCER.EDU, LEICA-USERS@MEJAC.PALO-ALTO.CA.US
Subject: DON CHATTERTON
From: LEVINE.S@GAIN.MERCER.EDU
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 21:35 -0500 (EST)

Original message: "RE: "
From: <<LEICA-USERS@MEJAC.PALO-ALTO.CA.US>>

At 09:50 AM 4/23/96 -0500, you wrote:
>I am having problems with a west coast dealer sending me a lens but not
>sending the lens caps.  He keeps promising to send them but he keeps
>stalling and it has been over two months now.  One of the caps he has in
>stock but he won't ship it. Has anyone else had problems with Don Chatterton?

Several years ago I bought a IIIc from Don advertised as "pre-war", which
it certainly wasn't. Since I was buying for use, not collecting, it didn't
matter,
but it made me question his knowledge/honesty.

Last year I traded my M4-2 with a lens in for a mint, used
M6 with a mint 50mm lens (that I subsequently retraded for a
35MM). Don's prices were reasonable, as was his trade in.
The quality of the body and lens i received was better than
advertised,and included at no charge was a manual for the body,
plus caps for body and lens, and a Leica strap.  In addition,
when I phoned, just to talk about what I might be interested in, he
personally got on the phone and spent as much time as I needed
to come to a decision.  Then, he assured me that after I took my
first several rolls I had to be completely satisfied or he would
take back the outfit and return my trade-in plus the difference.
Everything worked out great, and when I'm ready for another
purchase, it's back to either Chatterton or Tamarkin (where I ended
up getting my 35 mm lens).
Stan

              / Stanley I. Levine \
              \ Columbus, Georgia /