To: <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Subject: Re: Minimum aperture question
From: Charles E. Dunlap <cdunlap@rupture.ucsc.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 96 17:30:54 -0700

>Thought to myself how nice it
>would have been if it had f22 available instead of the min. f16 allowed on
>that lens. I guess there is a limit on how accurately you can make a "small
>hole", but the f16 opening seemed as if it could have been reduced by
>another stop within the bounds of good mechanical practice.

My guess is that beyond f/16 the gain in depth of field (ie. distance
range that appears to be in sharp focus in the photo) will be limited by
diffraction. I haven't done the calculations (and they will depend on
what constitutes sharp focus for you as well as the enlargement size and
planned viewing distance), but if we are to give Leica the benefit of the
doubt they probably did do the calculations and figured they wouldn't be
doing us a service by including a smaller aperture.

Of course nothing is stopping you from trying the unmarked smaller
aperture and testing to see if you really get a larger zone of sharp
focus that way.

-Charlie

Charles E. Dunlap
Earth Sciences Dept.