To: <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Subject: Re: the zone system vs. the Big Picture
From: Charles E. Dunlap <cdunlap@rupture.ucsc.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 96 15:13:10 -0700

> _The Negative_ covers only a tiny fraction of the
>practical issues in photography.

The initial poster, who has yet to resurface (and I don't think that we
can blame him), seemed to be having trouble with flat, washed out prints.
This is almost certainly an exposure or printing problem. Someone wisely
recommended _The Negative_ as an excellent reference on practical
controls of tonal relationships. The recommendation addressed the
question well, and did not claim that _The Negative_ was an inclusive
text on photographic practice. Adams wrote _The Camera_ and _The Print_
in order to round out his basic photography series. He was humble about
attempting to provide thorough coverage, but I think he did a very good
job.

>Adams' own photographs cover a very restricted
>expressive range, and

I think there's an impression here that Adams was trying to preach a
particular way to view the world and a dogmatic approach to technical
controls. I recommend his autobiography to anyone who feels that such a
characterization is largely true. He was big hearted and accepting of
different points of view. He also photographed subjects which expressed a
variety of human responses to the natural world and to each other.

>the proportion of photographic images worth seeing that were
>made by his methods is an infinitesimal fraction of the whole in both number
>and variety.

That's ok. My experience is that I wasn't able to get the results I
wanted until I understood sensitometry. The Zone System is a practical
approach to employing sensitometric concepts that helped me and has
helped everyone I know who has taken the time to understand it. Anyone
finding success in photography has learned to employ sensitometric
principles, whether explained via the Zone System or learned by trial and
error.

>A further problem with this: for many kinds of photography, you simply
>cannot plan an image like this - you know that the situation you're in
>is evolving in an interesting way, and you know when the moment arrives
>to take the picture, but the precise composition and tonal structure of
>that picture is not knowable in advance; you may only know what you've
>got after you've done the processing.

Another mistaken conception that people have about the Zone System is
that it was intended only for a contemplative approach using sheet film
and large format equipment. Adams describes these procedures because they
do allow ultimate control, but, as I noted in a previous post, he wrote a
chapter in an early seventies Leica Manual on applying the Zone System to
roll films. In a nutshell: determine the film speed for your equipment
and processing and for a roll of subjects with varying luminance ranges
develop the roll for N-1 and control contrast using paper grades. Very
practical and very serviceable in my experience.

-Charlie

Charles E. Dunlap
Earth Sciences Dept.
University of California