To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: finder perspective
From: Michael Volow <mvolo@acpub.duke.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 15:23:23 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

Yes what you say is true if you compare actual photographs from lenses of
different focal lengths adjusted to the same size magnification. But I was
talking not about photographs but viewfinder images. It should not be true
for rf viewfinders of different focal lengths all placed at the same
distance from the subject. If what you say is true, then, at the **same**
subject distance, the image of auxiliary 35mm viewfinder and auxiliary
90mm viewfinder should look the same except for frame size. Which they
don't. A fairer test would be to take pictures with the 35mm lens and 90mm
lens at the same subject distance, and then compare each picture with its
respective viewfinder image, not for size but for overall feeling of
foreground-background distance.

As much as I love and use the, M6 viewfinder has only one optical focal
length, but uses the kludge of frameline size variation to achieve framing
for different focal lengths. I would like to see the M7 finder actually
change magnification for at least 35-90mm lenses.

On Fri, 19 Apr 1996, Paul Krzyzanowski wrote:

> Michael Volow <mvolo@acpub.duke.edu> writes:
>
> > Viewing through and SLR, if I switch between a 35mm and 50mm lens, not
> > only will the magnification look different, but in the viewfinder image,
> > the near-far relationship of objects will look different. Won't this
> > change in perspective be absent if I switch between lenses on an M6?
>
> The near-far relationship of objects is a function of where you
> stand, not of the focal length. Try this experiment: take two photos
> from the same position: one with a 28mm lens and the other with a 135mm
> lens. Crop the wide angle shot to match the scene shot with the 135.
> Both picture will have the exact same near-far relationship.
>
> Paul

Michael Volow, M.D. (mvolo@acpub.duke.edu)
Department of Psychiatry, Durham VA Medical Center, Durham, NC
919 286 0411 Ext 6933