To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: M6 metering
From: "joe b." <joe@azurite.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 19:02:18 +0100

In message <Pine.SUN.3.91.960419090725.9090B-100000@cps207>, William
Hong <hong@cps.cmich.edu> writes
>Jonathan Eastland's Leica M Compendium also mentioned this technique, but
>it doesn't seem to work on my M6.  Flicking the frameline selector
>doesn't see to change the metering at all.  I don't understand how this
>would work.  Since the framelines come up in pairs, how would it know to
>meter with the 35mm line, not the 135mm line, and the 28mm line, not
>the 90 mm line?

The meter measures a central spot that is 2/3 the height of the negative
area- whatever lens you use.

The smaller frameline simply indicates -to you- the approximate area
that is being metered by the camera with the lens you are using. So for
example, with a particular lens, the framelines for the next longer lens
(next smaller framelines) show you, roughly, the area the meter is
measuring. Alternatively, just imagine a central spot that is 2/3 the
height of the frame you are using. That makes it simpler.

It is up to you to meter (ie select- place the smaller framelines over~)
something that gives you the correct exposure for the picture you intend
to take.
--
joe b.