To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: M6 metering
From: Francois Jouve <Francois.Jouve@polytechnique.fr>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 10:30:35 +0200

Charles E. Albertson wrote:
>      As a rule of thumb (and I got this from the late Andrew Matheson's
> book, "Leica M6: Rangefinder Practice M6 to M1), use the finder frame for
> the lens that is 50% longer than the one you are metering through. For
> example, click the frame selector to the 75mm frame if you're metering with
> a 50mm, use the 50mm frame is you're shooting with a 35mm, use the 135mm
> frame for the 90mm lens, etc. It seems to work OK for me.

Since the M6 meter is pointed on a white disk of 12mm of diameter
(at center of the 24x36mm curtain), I think that the rule of thumb
should be to use the frame of twice the focal length you are metering through
(75mm for a 35mm, 90mm for a 50mm etc..)

---
Francois Jouve (Francois.Jouve@polytechnique.fr)
Centre de Math. Appliquees, Ecole Polytechnique, 91128 Palaiseau (France)
http://blanche.polytechnique.fr/users/www.jouve/jouve.html