To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica-Users List Digest V1 #34
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 16:53:14 -0700

Gary J Toop wrote:
> how much difference that 25% difference makes to the diffraction effect,

I don't see how diffraction happens in film. Diffraction happens when
light bends around a sharp edge at a steep angle, like when the aperture
is set to a small size. You mean refraction?

As far as it goes, 120 film can be "sharper" because the film base is
smaller, I haven't seen anything to say one way or the other, so I'll
take your word for it. BUT, MF lenses aren't as sharp as 35mm lenses,
because they don't have to be. Maybe Zeiss and Schneider lenses are, but
 you're wasting contrast to have such high resolution with the
enlargements that are going to happen.
--
Eric Welch
Grants Pass, OR