To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: 'Real picture and real time'
From: ewelch@gp.magick.net (Eric Welch)
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 96 08:40 PDT

In message <199604181348.VAA02930@mailhub.hkstar.com> , From
tkc@hkstar.com (TK Chan), the following was written:
> does anyone know what is the fractional time gap from the moment
> the shutter button is pressed to the moment the image is captured on
> the film, for the R and M systems respectively?

R cameras (in the R4 range, don't know about later stuff, but I suspect
they're close) is 100 ms. The M cameras are MUCH shorter. No mirror to
get rid of first.

As for the R7, it is much smoother than the R3, R4, R5 or R6. Many
people, including myself, who have used the R7 know that it is so much
smoother that you actually get sharper hand-held pictures, especially at
moderate shutter speeds. And it can't be the same shutter, because the
R7 is digital while the previous cameras (except the R6 of course) are
analog.

And considering the compromises to buying an SL, there's no way most
people would consider it a good deal. Too many lenses don't work on
them, and the motors are massive.

--
Eric Welch ewelch@gp.magick.net
04/18/96 08:42