To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: lens carrier
From: Gang Huang <gang@mtdcr.mt.att.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 96 11:32:33 EDT

At 09:47 PM 4/16/96 CST, Sweendog wrote:
>A lens carrier for the bottom of your Leica??
>
>Sounds fishy to me. I used to glue the back caps of my Nikon lenses
>together to save space, but they always came off. I never heard of
>carrying one on the bottom of the camera, and since they are bayonet
>mount the only way I would trust something like that is if it locked
>on like it does on the M bodies.

Actually, it does lock the lens and it has the same metal bayonet mount as a
camera. The one I have tried can carry two lenses and seems to require a
little lug near the bottom of the camera to be secure. The lug can be found
on M3, but is absent on M4 and probably M6. And I guess this is why the
dealer did not recommend it. It is nicely made but, in my opinion, not very
practical in actual use. When it's on the camera, you can't use tripod, or
simply sit the camera on a table. It also makes the camera heavy, and the
strange look will certainly attract attention. You are better off spending
the momey on a decent bag or a vest.

Regards,
Gang Huang
AT&T Bell Laboratories