To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Various M6 threads
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 07:53:39 -0700

Paul Krzyzanowski wrote:

> > >AAAAGGGGHHHHHASANYONEGOTASOLIDUSERGRADEM6FORSALE?
> >
> > I'm relieved to hear this happens to someone besides me... Maybe we should
> > start a 12-step program for M6 coveters.
>
> I guess I am guilting of starting the latest want-to-get-an-M6 thread
> by asking for advice on moving up from my IIIf.
>
> A few hours ago I just bought a new chrome M6 (I like the chrome
> bodies, but the black ones seem to be more popular; am I the only one
> with such a sentiment?).  Needless to say, I haven't used it yet but,
> compared to the IIIf, file loading, focusing and viewing are a joy
> instead of a frustration. It's also bigger; I never realized how much
> taller M cameras are than the screw mount ones.  Now I have to wait
> for that first scratch, scrape, or dent...

I prefer chrome ones too. They look more touristy. Which means people
don't notice me as a professional (unless I have my EOS1n with 70-200
2.8 hanging on the other shoulder <G>) as easily. They have to look
close to see the "Leica" on the front. Did you get the Panda? That's the
one with the black wind, rewind knobs and shutter speed dial. They are
relatively rare. Only built them for about two months. I like the looks
of mine.

> I won't even think about getting the aspheric Summilux, but are other
> 35 Summilux lenses worth considering (the price range appears to be
> almost the same as for Summicrons)?

Optically, the Summicron is going to be better at wide apertures, but
not as good at 1.4 and 1.7 <g>. You need the Summilux if you shoot a lot
in low light and slower films. I got the Summicron, and I do miss the
1.4 of my old Summilux R on my SLRs. But I can wait for a while to get
the Aspheric. The old Summilux has an interesting quality wide open.
Some people like it, some despise it. It is certainly a unique look.
--
Eric Welch
Grants Pass, OR

Replies: Reply from Michael Volow <mvolo@acpub.duke.edu> (Re: Various M6 threads)