To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Nikon/Canon rf lenses on Leica bodies????
From: "joe b." <joe@azurite.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 18:08:55 +0100

In message <316DF95C.49B2@gp.magick.net>, Eric Welch
<ewelch@gp.magick.net> writes
>You're in the wrong era, and camera type. We're talking about using OLD
>Canon Rangefinder lenses from the 40s and 50s which are screw mount, on
>Leica M cameras, with a screw mount adapter that changes them to Leica M
>mounts. SLRs need not apply.

No, I knew this! My point was that anyone seeking the optical
characteristics of Canon lenses can get that easily, on a Canon SLR. My
assumption was that the optical characteristics of Canon lenses
generally would be similar, so why bother getting Canon RF lenses to use
on a Leica RF body at presumably considerably greater expense.

Here's my analogy; I like the optical characteristics of leica M lenses.
Now if someone said, hey, have you heard of the Leica reflex system,
they call it Leica R, you can get the same optical quality as the rf
lenses but at a fraction of the price, on the R bodies with R lenses-
they're really cheap but just as good- I'd have jumped at the chance. As
we all know, Leica R equipment is not especially cheap.

But with Canon, here we are extolling the qualities of Canon optics and
talking about putting them on Leica rf bodies, and the leica bodies are
expensive, and the Canon rf lenses also tend to be quite expensive ( at
least over here- ) and hard to find. But I suppose, and I may be wrong-
that I can get a Canon FD system, with some Canon lenses and a solid
reliable Canon FD mount body, for peanuts. Even some of the old FD "L"
lenses are going for silly money now.

So, what am I missing? Why bother putting old Canon screw lenses on  a
Leica- or is the quality different from their SLR lenses?

> Except you can buy a Zorkendorfer, and I
>guess some Japanese adapter to put Leica R lenses on a Canon EOS1n. But
>I wouldn't recommend it unless you're into aerial photograhy where
>you're shooting Kodachrome 25, thus wide open at infinity like on German
>photographer on Compuserve does.

What is a Zorkendorfer? Is it just a Leica R lens --> EOS body adapter?
In which case, I want to know where to get one. I can then use R lenses
on EOS bodies for slow stuff, like macro and maybe landscape work on a
tripod. Then people can say "How did you get that look on an EOS" and I
can smile mysteriously and talk about being attuned to my subject...
--
joe b.