To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Nikon/Canon rf lenses on Leica bodies????
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 08:31:33 -0400
Cc: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>

At 11:34 PM 4/11/96 -0700, Eric Welch wrote:

>You're in the wrong era, and camera type. We're talking about using OLD
>Canon Rangefinder lenses from the 40s and 50s which are screw mount, on
>Leica M cameras, with a screw mount adapter that changes them to Leica M
>mounts. SLRs need not apply.

Not quite -- Canon produced the Lens Mount Converter A for many, many years
-- this adapted the older Canon RF lenses for use on the Canonflex BM, FL,
and FD mounts.  Quite a nifty device.  There was also the Lens Mount
Converter P for use with what have come to be mis-named 'Pentax screwmount'
lenses -- bloody name ought to be true to the heritage and be 'Contax' or
'Praktica' screwmount!

The use of Canon RF lenses on FL and FD bodies was a feature of Canon's
product line through the 1960's and 1970's -- and may explain why the RF
lenses remained available until the early 1980's, long after the last of the
7's had been manufactured.

Marc
msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!