To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: M lens for 645 format
From: fortunko@boulder.nist.gov (C.M. Fortunko)
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 09:35:47 -0600

I also own these lenses and they appear to be very good. What you are saying
about the Mamyia 645 is very interesting. Let us know more about it.

Sometimes, I wish I had a medium-format camera. This may be an affordable
way of getting into medium format. I would only use it occasionally when I
cannot coax the quality from the 35mm film and Leica lenses and enlarger.

Incidentally, I believe that the 120 film is better, in terms of fog level,
than any of the 35mm films. Am I correct?

Pax et Lux,

Chris Fortunko

><snip>
>>Anyway, I am now using the M lenses again, this time converted to fit into
>>my Mamiya 645 Pro, the result of which is stuntingly wonderful.
>>
>>The M lenses I use are the Elmar 135 f/4 and Telyt 200 f/4. A 3rd one is on
>>the way - an Elmarit 90 f/2.8.  The image coverage area of these lenses is
>>more than adequate to give a corner to corner sharpness. This is confirmed
>>when the negative is viewed in my enlarger (I do my own color printing).
>>The richness of colour and resolution typical of Leica characteristics is
>>fully retained on the 645 format. The quality of print made out of it, I can
>>only say, is speechlessly beautiful.
>>
>>I don't know whether anybody out there is doing the same like me. But I hope
>>this provides a '3rd encounter' dimension of the M lenses.
>
>Very Interesting. Do you have these lenses converted by a shop, or is there
>an adaptor that accomplishes the conversion?
>    --
>    Roger Beamon,  Natural History Interpreter & Photographer
>                              Docent: Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum
>                              INTERNET: beamon@primenet.com

Pax et Lux,

Chris Fortunko, Boulder, CO