To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Which M6?
From: hartmann@interaccess.com (Nicholas Hartmann)
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 08:50:25 -0600

Thank you for your recommendations about what to look for in a used M6. Do
you know if there are in fact any differences in meter sensitivity that I
should be aware of? I would love to have the little plastic strap lugs, and
of course the newer and more up-to-date the series, the better.

>> Personal note: Give up an M4 for an M6? Are you crazy?  :) <<

Possibly, but that's not the point. I want to exchange the M4 for an M6 because:

1) I want to take more pictures with my (only) Leica. Therefore:

  1a) I want a built-in meter so I don't have to:

   1aA) Remember to carry a light meter; or

   1aB) Guess, and worry that I got the exposure wrong, creating just enough
        uncertainty that

  1b) I don't take the camera with me as often as I otherwise might (see 1)
      above).

2) The "value" (to collectors primarily, or so I'm told) of M4s is
climbing; it may indeed have peaked or be just about to peak. Therefore:

  2a) I don't want to carry around, as a photographic instrument, an object
with that much non-utilitarian value.

  2b) If I sell it now, I will get as much for it as possible.

3) I also want a 35 mm Summicron to go with my 50. I wear glasses; with the
M4's finder I can just barely see the corners of the 35 mm frame without
moving around. With the M6's slightly lower finder magnification, I can see
all of it.

That's about it.

-- Nick