To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: SOOKY
From: jredfern@ftn.net (J. Redfern)
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 96 16:27 EDT

>At 01:13 PM 4/9/96 -0400, Ken Wilcox wrote:
>
>>My 50mm Summicron #2433xxx (black, find focus ribs) has a removable head.
>>It is sitting dissassembled by my computer as I type.
>>

>Thanks, Ken!  I have hived off all my 50mm Summicrons save for a single TM
>collapsible and an NF which serves as the standard lens on my M6, and so I
>had no later lenses on hand to check against the Printed Authorities.  I had
>understood that the second generation onwards did not have removeable heads,
>but yours, dating from 1970, is most certainly a second-generation lens.
>Maybe the third-generation lens also has a removeable head?
>
>Best wishes,
>
>Marc

Well,  I have two Summicron 50s; one from 1979 and one from +/- 1990 (#
3506XXX) and the lens head unscrews from both of them. (At first I thought
I'd broken the thing!)
Here's the catch, though: the thread on the lens head is NOT 39mm. it is
somewhat smaller (37mm?).
Would this thread be designed to mate with a close up device or are we busy
merrily hacking up our lenses? :-<
The Hove Leica guide (4th edition) makes a point of mentioning which lenses
have the detachable lens sets but they don't say anything to this effect
about any of the Summicron 50s. <GULP!>
Jae

Replies: Reply from tomrice@netcom.com (Tom R. Rice) (Re: SOOKY vs. removeable head)