To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: International customs
From: Tom Hodge <thodge@charweb.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 16:29:43 -0500 (EST)
Cc: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

Chris,

I'm sorry if I added any fuel to the fire.

Actually, this now opens up a valid thread for our group:  Leica users are
the "target" of a variety of situations and problems.  We all need to
discuss them from time-to-time so as to have "one hand wash the other".

Everybody chime in when you think of a situation you've heard of or you
think might put you and your cameras at risk.  Let's not get paranoid,
but they're more real than you think!

1)  The customs thing is pretty minor if you're prepared for it.  If not,
you can look pretty guilty just by trying to cover your own ass when put
on the spot.  Same thing if/when you wear a Rolex into/from a country.
You may not think so, but "they" look.  Fancy stuff like that has been
plugged into a database and "they" look for persons fitting a profile.

2) Insurance:  Folks, if you don't have a separate homeowners "rider" for
your Leicas, you're headed for a big disappointment if and when claim time
comes!  Same thing for the Rolex, diamonds, the computer, Waterford crystal,
antiques and so on.  You've been advised - don't be a dummy when you find
yourself in a pickle!!!  Keep receipts in a safe deposit box.  Keep
records of EVERYTHING you've bought.  Photograph your cameras with your
cameras!!!!  Photograph your entire household and keep slides in the safe
deposit box, too!

3)  Same with car insurance.  If your homeowners doesn't cover the
Leicas, add a rider if you transport them regularily.  If you get bumped
and are talking to Officer Friendly, someone can reach in and grab a bag
full of pretty expensive stuff!

4)  Security in general.  As the defector in the James Bond flick, "The
Living Daylights" exclaimed early on......"They are LOOKING for me!"  Out
in public, watch everywhere you go with your Leicas.  Thieves, naturally,
hang out where there's a lot of people.  As Navy pilots say when
outnumbered...a "target-rich environment"!  Don't be an easy "mark'!
Probably not a bad idea to get the electrical tape out and tape over
the name and the big, glaring red circle.  It's a shame we can't have
nice things in life anymore without being the target of crime but you
either change with the times or suffer the conseqences!

Years ago, some of the old Yashicas and the chrome Leicas were pretty
similar looking.  Now.....we Leica shooters - epecially the M owners -
stick out like sore thumbs!  You "R' guys can blend in a lot
easier....just tape up the name and it passes for a Minolta!!!  :):):)

In fact, the new video by the ex-singer of 10,000 Maniacs, Natalie
Merchant - shows her walking around New York taking snap shots -
unmistakebably - with a chrome Leica M.  If us Leica owners know what to
look for, so do the thieves that would LOVE to get their hands on our
stuff!  Folks, it's the end of innocence out in the real world.  Deal
with it!

5)  Serial numbers:  Try to avoid giving the entire number out on lenses
and bodies if advertised for sale.  Just put "xxx" in the last 3 digits.
The first 4 or 5 are enough to verify the year and lot of manufacture.
Make sure the serial numbers, however, are very clearly shown on all
sales receipts and try to photograph them up close with a macro lens to
verify for insurance purposes.

Hope I haven't beat a dead horse, here, but we really need to keep in
mind we are carrying some nice, valuable equipment.  In these days of
public apathy, no one's gonna come to your assistance if you get mugged
for your cameras.  Next best thing.......DON'T PUT YOURSELF IN A POSITION
TO BE A VICTIM!!!!!

Regards to all,

Tom Hodge