To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: 135mm f/4.0 Tele-Elmar-M
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 07:29:43 -0800

Michael Reichmann wrote:

> SLR (where I still do most of my work -- landscape and nature -- but I
> haven't been able to get excited about Leica R bodies.

> Now if there was a way to put Leica lenses on an F4 body........

Have your tried the R7? Half-stop speeds (too bad it's not 1/3) TTL
flash, fill flash (minimal, yet very good). I had to give up because I
found Auto Focus helpful for all the sports I cover. And the auto rewind
is wonderful, not to mention 1/250 flash synch. I hear the R8 addresses
all these problems except Autofocus. But if Contax can make an autofocus
body that works with all their lenses, Leica no doubt will go that route
too. Talk about smart way to go!

Did you know there's an adapter to put Leica R lenses on an EOS1n. Heck,
I think the EOS1n is a much more exciting camera than the F4, so I
bought one. Great for long lenses, and the Leica M for short ones. But I
hear the F5 is going to be a quantam leap ahead in autofocus technology.
It could change everything. (It's sure changing their long lens lineup.
All the great long lenses have been discontinued and a new line
announced. Talk about expensive! Three different 300 2.8s in less than 8
years - while the 280 Apo telyt's had one minor upgrade since '84).

But bottom line, it's the glass that counts. And what photograhy is all
about. What the glass puts on film, that is. Not owning it. Bodies are
boxes that let the light in. Some make it easier, but that's it.

--
Eric Welch
Grants Pass, OR