To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Hand held shots at 1/2 sec.
From: dkhong@pacific.net.sg (D Khong)
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 14:33:09 +0800

Hi all,

At 07:13 AM 3/18/96 -0500, you wrote:

>Actually, the first time I took it into fairly dim lighting - scenes
>virtually impossible to focus and shoot with a manual-focus SLR---I WAS
>in love!!  The Leica viewfinder was as bright as the beach!  The dual
>image snapped into view like a flash, I focused instinctively....and
>I've never looked back.  I find focusing in bright light much more
>difficult; the dim stuff is a snap with a Leica.  So, yes, it's not
>impossible to "forget" to focus the first few experiences with a
>Leica rangefinder.  Maybe it's the "old dog, new tricks" thing!

Speaking about low light shooting, I shot my church choir with my M3 and
90/2.8 under artificial light.  My Gossen Sixtino 2 could not register the
reading so I had to bracket with lens full open at f2.8 all the way from
1/30 sec to 1/2 sec.   Every shot was hand held, elbow braced against my
chest, took my  deep breath and pressed the shutter gingerly.  I took 5
bracketed shots on Ektachrome 100.   The exposure gradation was superb.
What surprised me the most was that when viewed under 10x loupe the
sharpness hardly deteriorated from 1/30 to 1/2 sec.  The hand held shot at
1/2 sec was definitely more than acceptably sharp.   I'm impressed!!

Dan
Singapore.

Replies: Reply from Gary J Toop <gtoop@uoguelph.ca> (Re: Hand held shots at 1/2 sec.)
Reply from wsummerv <wsummerv@cris.com> (Re: Hand held shots at 1/2 sec.)